2014 Brier Canadian Men's Curling Championship: Update 1

I'm super excited to be in Kamloops for the 2014 Brier! I stepped off the plane and the sky was blue and there was no snow and it's 30degrees warmer than back in Edmonton. Oh yeah, plus there's a big curling event going on!




So what am I doing here? Same gig as the 2013 Roar of the Rings a few months back - my favourite job as the IT intern. First, I'll be filming the post-game media scrums. Ok, so I'm not the best videographer around (maybe the cheapest, I work for curling tickets haha), but I love being backstage and soaking up the media skills and experience from the usual media guys. Mostly I feel like a hack in the scrum, but it super interesting to be a part of that world for a week. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the whitebalance...balanced.

Second, I'll be doing some local tweeting. That should be fun!

Thirdly, I'll be watching the curling, and catching up with some old friends. That's always one of my favourite parts of the event!


Friday, February 28, 2014
Today was a travel day. There was a bit of a booking snafu, but I made it in the end. Kamloops is hillier than I remember from the last time I was here 25 years ago, and it's bigger. Unfortunately nothing is walkable but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make do. Today wasn't overly productive. I checked into the hotel, then headed to the arena to grab accreditation. I said hi to a few familiar faces and got the lay of the land. Thanks to a ride from my IT boss, I picked up some groceries, enjoyed great company at dinner, then spent the night hanging out at the hotel. The big show starts tomorrow!!

My first view of the arena, during the Hot Shots competition.


Saturday, March 1, 2014
Let's get this party started! Sometimes I forget where I am or the world I currently live in. Like it's normal to have a discussion with Jeff Stoughton on the way to the hotel lobby and then to take a car with him, the lead from NONT and the QUE coach right? I guess so!

 Player's mics.



 Behind the media bench, TSN camera area. 


First up was Opening Ceremonies, which is always fun because...pipe band!!

Backstage - the calm before the Opening Ceremonies storm.


The storm!

Pipe Band playing in the teams during the Opening Ceremonies.


All the teams! Good curling!


Bringing in the Brier Tankard.



See, I told you there was a pipe band!


Next I finished setting up my camera and the scrum area, which we broke by tripping the breaker with our powerful lights. Thankfully the venue facilities guys were around and fixed it all for us. Also a TSN guy gave me a homemade cookie. And I tried to talk myself onto the 2015 Brier (Calgary) Director's team. It's possible I am incapable of relaxing and taking a normal vacation?!

Oops. We tripped the breaker.


I watched the finals of the Hot Shots competition (won by Kirk Muyres, Saskatchewan third). I always enjoy watching the Hot Shots, so if you're even at an event be sure to show up before the first draw to watch!

Winner gets a 2yr lease on a 2014 Ford Fusion.


I spent the afternoon catching up with a friend while eating delicious food truck fare. Fantastic idea - parking a food truck outside the venue! Then I watched a bit. One game ended early, so I went backstage to film it and then spend the rest of the games watching from the Media Room. Not the best view, but I'll get used to it.

My view from behind the camera. I need a step stool.
 

Just like riding a bike! I am an iMovie editing machine!


Film. Edit. Export. Post. Dinner. Watch curling. Repeat! It's only day one but I think I made friends with some of the media guys already. They know my name at least, so that's a start. This is going to be a good event. It's a bit smaller than the trials and so far everyone has been super nice! I'm looking forward to the rest of the week!

This is the Handle House, where hard working rock handles get to relax and being manhandled for a game.

Comments