What Does a Curling Librarian Do in the Off Season?

I finished curling more than a month ago. The last "pro" event was on TV last weekend. So what does a curling librarian do in the off season?

The most exciting thing I'll be spending a bit of time on this summer...

...it's official - I am the volunteer Director of Program Sales & Merchandising for the 2013 Brier in Edmonton!! 

I'm so excited about this opportunity! I started as a merchandising volunteer at the 2009 Trials, and shortly after set myself a 10 year goal: to be a volunteer director for a major Canadian Curling Association event by 2020. I moved down to emptying garbages at the 2011 Continental Cup, but then shockingly shot up to hanging out with the IT guys tweeting scores. I pretended to be a sports journalist and handled the stats and social media at the Wheelchair Championship in 2011 (which still stands as one of the best weeks of my life). Just this past February I wrote some fun behind the scenes/interview articles for the IT guys on the CCA website and tweeted more scores at the 2012 Scotties. Combine this with a chance meeting with the Brier Event Manager at the World Junior Hockey Championship (where I was selling 50/50s), and after some discussion, some waiting, and some emails, I met with her again today and we made it official. That's 10 years of working my way up accomplished in 2. I rock.

I have no idea what this experience will entail, except that it'll involve a lot of hard work, awesome people, and fantastic curling action. And you know I'll write all about it!

(Secret: I'm terrified. I really want to do a good job, which is a bit harder if you don't know what you're doing. I can't screw this up. I want to work for the CCA for the next 30yrs. I'm thinking of it like a tryout. Fun, but full of pressure. No worries though, that's kinda how I roll.)

What else will I post about during this off season?

Well, I'm thinking about resurrecting Music Monday. I'll probably put together a Winter concert edition soon, and I've already got some great concerts lined up. Balcony Garden posts will be coming soon (I just planted some basil seeds indoors today, I wonder how successful that will be?!). Then there's fun stuff in Edmonton. Maybe I'll read some curling books to review? Oh, and a wicked fun holiday in July. 

So even though it's the off season, you can expect the occasional post. Follow along if you've got a minute - otherwise I'll see you in October for more curling excitement!

Comments