#Curling on TV: Time for a #Curling Weekend!

I love this time of year. It's a curling time of year for sure!

There's two big events on tv out here in Alberta - and more depending on where you live in Canada...

1. Canadian Junior Curling Championship


This has been on since Feb. 4 - and wow the Alberta men's and women's teams are doing really well! I saw Brendan Bottcher take down Ferbey in the Edmonton playdowns a few weeks ago - he's at the top of the leader board as we speak and I'm hoping he goes all the way. Check out the teams and standing - gosh I wish work wasn't so busy so I could follow along more!

But hey, it's on tv this weekend! TSN will be showing the men's and women's junior final (times in MT):

Saturday Feb. 11
5pm: Women's Final

Sunday Feb. 12
5pm: Men's Final

I'll be pvring it because I'm going to watch the...

2. Alberta Men's Curling Championship (otherwise known as the Boston Pizza Cup - but really, does that mean anything to you if you're not local?)


This is one of my favourite events of the entire year - because the curling is good and I know most of the names and it's local so I often get to go watch! This will be my third time that I've gone to see the final weekend live, and I'm pretty excited to be back there after a couple years off. Games started today and go until Sunday in Camrose, conveniently a mere 90 minutes away!

Teams include: Martin, Koe, King, Virtue, Balderston, Greg Hill, Lloyd Hill, Schlender, Appelman, Park, Ross, Blandford. Check out Al Cameron's picks.

I of course am hoping for a Kevin vs. Kevin final, but there have already been a few upsets in Brier playdowns across the country (Manners in Saskatchewan for starters) so anything could happen!

Shaw TV will be showing the final at 3pm on Sunday. Until then you can follow the scoring online. I wish they were streaming the games online like at the Alberta Women's event, but I can't find any evidence of that.

Which brings us to...

3. Other Provincial Men's Finals

I know other local networks are showing the other Men's finals going on this weekend, so check your local listings. I'm closely following what's going on in Ontario - one assumes Glenn Howard will take it but it's sport so you never know. Out there Rogers is showing all the games for the lucky folks in Ontario. Northern Ontario (go team Jacobs!), BC, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Newfoundland Brier spots will be decided this weekend too!

What a weekend of curling! As a bit of a warm up, here's the latest commercial for the new renovations to the Edmonton International Airport - starring Kevin Martin:

"We'll put a skip in your step." Classic.

Comments