#Curling Librarian: Can I/We Do More?

I love my job. I'm a university librarian. 

Now, you're all thinking that all I do is checkout books all day. Wrong. In fact, I don't check out books at all: I order books, work on a variety of projects, sit on a number of committees, help students with their assignments/papers, teach information searching skills and work with a variety of programs to ensure their relationship with and experience of the library is awesome. This week alone I prepared two teaching sessions for next week, co-presented twice during our university professional development day (Mobile User Experience - including a show and tell of our library's iPads, and Navigating The World of Consumer Health Information), worked 5hrs at the reference desk, and used my charm to get a tour of the university residences. Not bad for a four day week!

Lately though, I've been thinking about how I could mesh my passion for curling and my library skills together.

The last couple big events I volunteered for allowed me to use my friendly people skills, and when I was tweeting for the Canadian Curling Association (CCA) I guess I was using my technology abilities (as a friend said though: "anyone can tweet"). Being on a board at one club, and the committee for the 2011 Canadian Wheelchair Curling Championships certainly takes some brain power. Doing all the online/social media for the Wheelies event is going to be a big challenge for me, one I'm excited to take on! And I love doing all of this just as much as I love my libraryland job.

But there's got to be more. I've been pondering an article by Jean Mills posted on the CCA blog titled "Around the House: Curling clubs get the academic treatment." It highlights current research going on regarding: how clubs are important to communities, how curling benefits womens' health, and then all that engineering excitement about the new brooms and sweeping techniques that were studied before the Olympics.

Shortly before the article was posted, I attended a scholarly research seminar (university librarian, remember, it goes with the territory). At some point I'm going to have to get more fancy letters after my name (I'll likely do a second masters degree, the whole PhD thing is quite terrifying). This also involves doing presentations and publishing papers. 

And that got me thinking. Someone somewhere is going to want to publish some of these, and other research studies like new types of deliveries, or the most effective way to teach curling or whatever else is going on in the curling world. When I say publish I mean academically, in academic/scholarly journals, perhaps in the areas of science or engineering or physical education. 

And someone somewhere in the curling world is someday going to need an awesome curling librarian to research and write up a literature review for their awesome yet-to-be-published paper! 

All you curling-scientists or curling-academics out there: you know where to find me.

Most of the time my colleagues think I'm nuts, but being a curling nerd has been an extremely fun experience for me! I've met so many awesome people (online and in real life)! Tweeting scores and interacting with fans while watching live curling games on tv has become one of my favourite things to do! And isn't a happy curling nerd a happy and productive librarian? I certainly think so. 

It's not just about me though: what can you do for the sport of curling? Teach a little rock program? Write up a grant proposal? Volunteer some time for a local or larger CCA event? Sew crests on jackets? Knit vintage curling sweaters to auction off for a fundraiser (I'd buy one!)? Write a piece in your local paper about playdowns? Create some advertising for a bonspiel at your club?

I bet you've got some skills and abilities that could help grow and improve the sport of curling. Don't let me hog all the fun!

Honestly, sometimes I just feel like an 8yr old in a toy store, and need to share all the goodies I see on the shelves with my friends. Thank you for humouring me!

Comments