2011 Continental Cup of #Curling: Epilogue

Shovelling snow on day 1 post Continental Cup of Curling is not quite as fun and exciting as hanging around the event. It's going to take awhile to get used to the real world again.

Similar to my Roar of the Rings Epilogue, I thought'd I'd sum it all up with...

My Continental Cup Top 5

1. Tweeting for the Canadian Curling Association
I still can't believe the CCA knows who I am, and working with them was 100% awesome. I had a great time tweeting for @CCACurling and meeting the staff and media folks. They are all very nice, and were very welcoming and friendly to this keen newbie. I can't wait to maybe do this all again some time in the future!



2. Meeting awesome friends/volunteers/staff/media/curlers
This is always the best part of curling volunteering! The people I met were all super lovely. I had so many interesting conversations in the volunteer lounge, backstage, in the hallways, in the arena - nice people the whole lot of them! I got to hang out a bit with Twitter friends @1CathyC and @neilp316 and made new friends with the ladies on my volunteer team. I made small talk with curlers and the TSN commentators and various media guys. Curling people are wonderful people!


3. Throwing official rocks on official ice
A picture is worth a thousand words:



4. Getting backstage access
I love going behind the scenes. I did a 50/50 for an Edmonton Oilers Hockey game once and walking around under the stands was cool. I once got a tour of the CTV Edmonton news station. I get tours of library work/staffrooms often and that is also fascinating (ok, maybe only for a librarian?). There's just something about going backstage and seeing stuff most people don't have access to. I hope you got a sense of what it was like from the photos I posted on Twitter!


5. Interacting online
Besides tweeting for @CCACurling, I tweeted A LOT from my personal twitter account (the post linked isn't even all my tweets, just the ones from backstage, and doesn't include my game updates or any conversations I had), and really enjoyed answering followers questions or chatting to people watching from home via Twitter. I loved writing my blog, and reading comments on it, on Facebook, and on Twitter about what people thought about my experience. The whole event was one positive ball of awesomeness.


Fun eh? And that list doesn't even include watching the games or listening to them via my FM transmitter (curling heaven, remember?!).

Want to relive my adventures?
Volunteer Assignment
Volunteer Rally #1
Volunteer Rally Photos
Volunteer Rally #2
Opening Ceremonies
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Backstage Photos

What's next? Who knew my big mouth (and fantastic new iPhone) would open up such awesome new opportunities to do the things I love? I've received some very interesting emails and expect to receive a few more over the next few weeks, so it might not be too long before I get to report more curling excitement!

First up is the Canadian Wheelchair Curling Championships in March, which I'll be working on as part of the local committee doing the web stuff (in partnership with the Canadian Curling Association of course). Locally, my main curling club, SPCC is looking at hosting more Dominion events over the next few years, so there's definitely opportunities for me to help out there, especially since I'm on the board. And wouldn't I love to watch the Alberta mens provincials again!

But what about the big events? I've already mentioned I'd love to go to the Scotties in Red Deer and the Brier in Saskatoon in 2012. Unfortunately, I doubt I could take that much time off from the library, as they're both very close together, and during a busy time for the university. I reckon I can do one event, so maybe the last weekend of the Scotties and the Brier in Saskatoon? The Brier is my favourite event so I'd love to volunteer for one and I've already found a couch to sleep on in Saskatoon, but rumour is Edmonton is getting a Brier soon so maybe I should do the Scotties instead to experience that event? A couple volunteers at the Continental Cup told me the Scotties are pretty awesome, as it's like 90% women and they have a lot of fun. Hmm, tempting. Lethbridge is also hosting the Women's Worlds in 2012 - how come all the fantastic events are in/close to Alberta next year? How come they're not in the summer when I get two months off?!

I suppose for practical reasons I could do a Fall event, and a Winter one. I just missed a Canada Cup in southern Alberta this past December, which I did want to volunteer for but I had just graduated with my library studies masters degree and was in employment/relocation limbo at the time the volunteer call went out (ditto for why I'm not going to the World's in Regina this year, that would've been totally fun!). The CCA events are mostly in the winter, so I'd have to look into maybe doing one of the Grand Slam events in the Fall? And that's a whole other group of awesome curling people to infiltrate!

Look at me, all excited and thinking about travelling to volunteer for a curling event. My parents/colleagues/friends think I'm nuts, paying money to work for free, especially when it involves (large) travel expenses. I'm not talking about going outside the province necessarily, but I don't see a problem with driving out to a city I've never been too yet to hang out with awesome curling folks. After all, it is the most fun thing I've ever done!

So there's fun curlingland times to look forward to in the future! Countdown starts now...

Comments