New #Curling Adventures

This week was a turning point for this curling librarian.  On Monday I was just a once-a-week curler in the Sunday Beginner's League at my curling club. On Tuesday I became a twice a week curler. At two different clubs. On Wednesday I became a twice a week plus maybe sometimes spare a third time a week curler. At two different clubs.

Now, before you jump to any conclusions: I'm not leaving my old club! Technically I can't because I'm on the Board, but regardless I wasn't shopping for a new club or anything. I'm quite happy at SPCC, I quite like my team and I'm quite looking forward to slowly transitioning into the Program Coordinator position on the Board. Plus there's lot's of possibly exciting stuff happening in the next few years there and I want to be part of it.

Anyways, I just happened to mention to @1CathyC (who happens to be a curling club manager) at the last @11Wheelies meeting that I was maybe thinking of possibly trying to curl another night a week and bam! She's so efficient she put me on a team in the Tuesday Open League and added me to a team's spare list in the Wednesday Ladies League at JPCC!

I was a bit torn, because I didn't want to cheat on my team or SPCC, but someone else mentioned they curl at three different clubs and that it's totally ok. So there you have it. It still felt a bit adulterous, so I think I'll have to get on a spare list at SPCC to balance it out. And wouldn't you know it, these two clubs are on opposite ends of town. Eventually I might live in the middle, but for now at least I work in the middle and live on one end.

Honestly, I was super nervous Tuesday evening on my way to JPCC. This is my fourth year curling, and I've only just become confident with my minimal skill. I suck, but I don't suck as much as I used to. Still, it's hard to join a new team - I wasn't sure if they'd be easy going and fun or if I'd let them down with my sucky delivery. I needn't have worried though, the Tuesday team is friendly and not overly competitive, so it's going to be a fun rest of the season.

We totally got decimated by the wheelchair curling team that night. I love the concept of an open league, where there's no rules about the even number of men or women on a team, and a wheelchair team is totally welcome. I spent most of the evening admiring their technique. I asked one of the guys at the beginning if we had to do anything different and he just asked that we didn't sweep their stones past the t-line, since they couldn't sweep ours. Makes sense. It's amazing what they could accomplish with just a single arm movement. They are one of the teams that will be trying to get the Alberta provincial title so they can play at Nationals in March. Totally kicked our butts! Good times.

On Wednesday I spared for a team in the Ladies at JPCC, and again I was unnecessarily nervous because the team I was put on was super fun and chatty. This time we won, barely, so it was a good close game. I made some shots and I missed some shots, but I contributed enough to not be booed off the ice. It was the first time I played in a non-mixed league, and it was a bit intimidating because all the ladies had really good form. It definitely seemed to be a bit more competitive than the other mixed leagues I play in, but fortunately the team I played for was pretty relaxed. I might perhaps play for the team again if they need a spare, so again, good times were had by all.

This is the first time in my life that I a) have the time to curl more than once a week and b) can mostly afford to so I'm totally up for it! I love meeting all the new people and learning more about the sport from them. Plus if this continues next year, I totally have a good excuse to buy new curling shoes. And maybe a new broom with a swivel head...

Comments