Photo-A-Day Week #11

Semi-theme of the week: close ups. Sort of...

Monday, November 15, 2010: Tokidoki does cat lady.


Tuesday, November 16, 2010: Spiral bamboo - let's see how long it takes me to kill it. Green thumb I have not.


Wednesday, November, 17, 2010: Another Oilers game, another $50 down the drain. I know it's a rebuilding year, but really, it was so bad we left at second intermission. We did beat all the traffic though (they lost 5-0).


Thursday, November 18, 2010: My favourite mittens.


Friday, November 19, 2010: Baby toys. This photo was taken with a magic flash that made my crappy photos look super-duper-awesome. I have found a cure for the yellow pictures, but unfortunately it'll cost me $250, so I'm sticking with yellow photos.


Saturday, November 20, 2010: Laundry drying, in all it's yellowy non-magic-flash glory. I know, I should just read my camera's manual...


Sunday, November 21, 2010: Monster mugshot.

Comments

  1. Learning about cameras #2 - The Yellows and Blues.

    Color temperature (how yellow/warm or blue/cool an image is) changes quite dramatically based on your light source. Typical noon sunlight is measured as neutral - white, neither too yellow or too blue. As we move away from that light, your camera has to make guesses at how warm or cool the light you're shooting in is. Out doors most cameras tend to do well - sunsets are warm, cloudy or shady days are cooler, etc. Indoors, cameras ALL tend to struggle a bit. Incandescent bulbs are VERY warm. Fluorescents are cool, and add a bunch of green to the mix as well. Other, more exotic light sources? Heaven forfend.

    You can, on almost all digital cameras (but certainly on yours) control how your camera is reading the light by overriding what it's decided on its own, based on the results you're getting. In iAuto mode (turn the dial to get to is) the setting is called "Change Color Image". Adjust it a bit and try another picture. See the results, change it a bit more, and try again. I don't think this works in Scene Mode, or Art Filter Mode, and it's called something different and much more technical in something like Aperture-Priority Mode, which would require some hands-on training.

    The reason that the flash picture looks so good is that the camera knows what color temperature the flash operates at - the same color as the sun, pure white. And it's the dominant light source in the picture, so the camera can compensate and make the colors come out right.

    More learning requires hands-on time. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment