It's #Nanowrimo Time!

Yep, it's time to once again write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November.

Nanowrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and the objective is as stated above. It's hard to explain what Nanowrimo is to people who don't know because it's not a contest or competition - you don't get anything if you win except an extreme sense of accomplishment. It's an international thing and this year about 130,500 writers have signed up. It's fun. And it's time for me to do it again now that I'm no longer a grad student.


I've done it twice, in 2006 and 2007 (my novels, "In the Key of Zed" and "A Place Like Home", are crap but I'm proud of my accomplishments nonetheless - and no, you can't read them). I was super sad to miss out on 2008/2009. I was super excited for 2010 but honestly, I'm a little worried. This November is super busy for me and I don't know where I'm going to find the time to write. In the past, I put in 10,000 word days, but I don't even think I have 5 free days to write! Stupid Twitter (how I love thee) is a huge time suck right now, how am I going to find time to keep up and write and attend all the events etc that are going on. And I think I might have volunteered to host a Nanowrimo event at work. Like I have time to sort that out (and then if no one shows up I'll be super sad). Oh, and curling is starting to consume my life (not a bad thing, but it's eating into my writing time).

Plus, just between you and me, I'm not all that excited/attached to my plot but it's too late to change that (not like I've done much planning or anything, oops, ran out of time for that too, let's blame it on Twitter). I was saving this particular idea the whole two years I wasn't writing because I was in grad school, so I feel compelled to write it out. I really should've done a bit more planning. Ack. I will be very disappointed if I don't finish.

Anyways, wish me luck. And expect a bit of a blog drought (or not, we'll see where my motivation lies). I should really be writing my novel now...

Comments