On The Board

Apparently I'm now on the Board of Directors at my curling club.

Honestly, it wasn't my idea. I found myself being 'voluntold' to be my league's representative to the board (which I figured would end up happening - basically it means I get to organize the Christmas/end of the year parties), but then the outgoing president (who organizes my league, so he's gotten to know me over the past few years) asked if he could nominate me as a "Director at Large". I'm still not exactly sure what that means, but I think it just means I have to do whatever the president tells me to do. He mentioned organizing and helping to run bonspiels or other events, which I could totally do (and sorta do kinda already). And I'm hoping the let me edit the website a bit.

I knew this would happen eventually. I love curling and am already working on my parallel career as a curling volunteer. I like being in charge and helping out, plus I'm super organized. Also, I am one of the very few 'young' people at my club (at least that I've seen - I suppose I'm the most involved 'young' person anyways). Perhaps I am the future of management. We've got a great junior program and there's lots of kids and juniors around, but the 18-35 year old age group is seriously lacking in number. Another reason I'm still single.

The Annual General Meeting was today, the first one I've ever attended. I've never actually been to a meeting before where there's all the motions and nominations and seconding and 'all in favour' activities, so it was definitely eye opening. The club is trying to choose a new logo, which is quite a contentious issue, as are finances. What else is new. 

Like I mentioned before, I was the only person younger than about 45 years old at the meeting. 

I did learn something interesting: our club is the only club in the Edmonton and surrounding area that grew in membership last year. That surprises me, what with the Winter Olympics being so successful in Canada this past winter. 

So regardless of how I got on the board, or why I'm there, I think it'll be fun. I'm looking forward to working with the rest of the people (curling folks are notorious for being super nice people) and helping out any way I can. It's going to be a busy season, but a great season. Bring it on!

Comments

  1. Good for you!! I'm just about to start curling in a league again for the first time since high school and am slightly nervous about being the youngest person in the league by about 10-15 yrs, but it'll be fun anyways!

    Also so glad to see that someone else uses 'voluntold'! My brother thinks I made it up and gets annoyed whenever I use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get used to being a youngin' in your league, I certainly have and I'm not actually that young! I love curling people though. It doesn't matter how old they are, they are just awesome. Just think of all the new 'aunts/uncles/grandparents' you'll gain!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment