Another Fun Curling Committee

My fantastically-busy-curling-volunteer schedule continues.

Fresh off my appointment to my curling club's Board of Directors, I attended another big committee meeting. @1CathyC, an awesome curling club manager who I met on Twitter, has invited me to join the organizing committee for the 2011 Canadian Wheelchair Curling Championships, which will take place in March 2011. Last night was the first committee meeting.


Know what I love about curling volunteers? They're awesome! As always, the committee is made up of really nice people who generally care about the sport and the athletes. It's going to be a great committee to be a part of, and I'm really looking forward to working with everyone.

It was the first time I really met twitter people in person, so it was an exciting night from all angles (never got a chance to talk to @ErinCraig11, hopefully next time!).

I'm 'in charge' of the social media promotion, which will include our twitter page, @11Wheelies, a facebook page, website updates, and a daily blog/newsletter during the event. I'll also be helping with formatting the program and will likely contribute to the traditional promotion and media strategy as well. So freaking exciting! It's going to be fun!

(Oh, maybe I should actually get an iphone for this? I was going to save for a mortgage instead, but gosh an iphone would come in handy that week! And for the Continental Cup too, you know, in case I bump into famous curlers again - then I can get a picture!)

If you're keeping track, that's three curling volunteer groups I'm currently involved with for the 2010-2011 curling season (my board, 11Wheelies and Continental Cup), so I'm right on track with my curling volunteering goal: get on the organizing committee for a big event or on the board of one of the big organizations. Another woman on the 11Wheelies committee is a VIP volunteer for the Continental Cup and I was joking, as I usually do, that I want to be running those events in 15 years. She wondered why I was waiting 15 years, and jokingly offered to sign me up now!! So maybe if we get something big in 2014 I could contribute more than zipping zippers or hauling around flats of pop. A facebook friend also has some connections with the Northern Alberta Curling Association, so there's that option too. Time will tell, but it's looking good!

How fortunate I just finished grad school and actually have a real job that will finance my habit, in terms of both time and money. Too bad I'm so far away from retirement, then I'd have plenty of time to devote to all of this! Priorities I guess, and curling certainly is my winter one! I'm looking forward to the next meeting already, and to the events themselves.

This is turning out to be my best year ever!

Comments

  1. I am so happy that you are working with us. I'm looking forward to it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking me to join the committee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment