Awesome Jobs On The Horizon

Wow. It's been a truly blessed week.

Remember this post from back in June? I lamented the loss of my life's purpose and mission. I quoted a presentation from Mastermaq: "Find something you are passionate about and do it here in Edmonton"

Well, I've done it, doubled!

First, the curling news. A twitter friend has asked me to be on the volunteer committee for the 2011 Canadian Wheelchair Curling Championships that are being held in Edmonton next March. I've been asked to do their social media - how exciting!! I'm looking forward to a) figuring out my plan b) meeting the rest of the committee and helping out and c) meeting the curlers, watching the curling and enjoying the event!

And my volunteer application for the 2011 Continental Cup has also been approved! I'm not sure what I'll be doing, but it's going to be exciting!

Secondly, the BIG library news. I graduated with my Master of Library and Information Studies degree in the Spring and have been looking for a job ever since. It's been an emotional roller coaster. Job hunting is stressful. Job interviews are nerve wracking. Getting turned down for jobs previously interviewed for is completely demoralizing. Classmates who I was friends with previously are now all scrambling to get the same positions. We've been stealing interviews and jobs from each other, crushing dreams and bruising egos along the way. I've had to make some tough decisions recently, but it finally happened...

I got library job!

As a real librarian!

In the library I've always wanted to work at!

And I'm being genuine about that - I am so excited to be doing the job I love at a library I love!

It's like all my prayers were answered.

Thus I've rediscovered my passions - curling and library work - and I now get to do both in Edmonton, the city I love. Thank God for the opportunities!

So stay tuned - life just got a bit more exciting!

Hopefully I don't get hit by lightning anytime soon...

Comments

  1. Wow, congratulations! I am very happy for you - so glad that there are passionate new grads getting their dream jobs! What/where is the job?

    Your paragraph about competing with your library school friends rang so true. There's definitely a lot of that here too. I haven't graduated yet, but I'm just starting to apply for jobs, and already I'm feeling the heat of the competition.

    Oh, and congrats on the curling jobs, too! I can't believe I never learned about curling during my year in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a reference/instruction position at a local university. I'm super excited as that's exactly what I want to do and I used to go to the university so really do love it. It's going to be busy, but a great way to start my career.

    All's fair in love and war, and job hunting is war. I definitely felt the stress of competition. It's just so weird to be friends one day and competitors the next. Hopefully no one's feelings get too hurt, I'm sure we'll all get the right jobs eventually.

    Good luck on your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaa Lisa!! I think the universe just wanted us to have the summer off as people are getting jobs now that didn't get them in the spring. McEwan?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment