Moose On The Loose: I'm Published!

Seriously, I got published!*

Well sort of. After a comment I made on twitter was replied to by @Edmontonstories, they encouraged me to submit a story to their website. Edmonton Stories is run by the City of Edmonton, and has been publishing stories online: "Edmontonstories.ca is where Edmontonians and visitors can tell their stories...Sharing your personal experience and insights through a story will illustrate what our city has to offer the world."

I wrote about being a Green Shack girl, and about the time a moose ran through our park.


I wish I had a picture, but this was before digital cameras, and my other photo albums are buried somewhere in the basement! The Edmontonian has a picture on their blog post about the green shacks if you want to see what they look like.

Green Shacks, for the uninitiated, are little green sheds that are placed at Edmonton playgrounds in the summers. Playground leaders (fondly called 'Green Shack girls or guys') lead games, songs, crafts and other activities for children during the school holidays. I did it for two summers, and it was definitely interesting. I certainly have more stories besides the moose incident that include teenagers tipping over out portable toilet, being evacuated due to a tornado warning, enjoying rainy day card games inside the shack with my co-leader, etc. I'd highly recommend applying to be a green shack leader when in university, especially for faculty of Education undergraduates. It's a great job, and really fun working with the kids.

Oh those nostalgic summer days!

(*And actually this is the second time I've been published. An essay I wrote in library school about Tribal College libraries was published in the 2010 issue of Library Student Journal. You can access that here.)

Comments

  1. Congratulations on being published. Great little story, too! And wow, what a great idea Edmonton has here - a website with stories about Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I always knew you were an awesomely multi-talented curling librarian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - you are published! I enjoyed your story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment