Rediscovering My Mission

I was born and raised here in Edmonton. I left for awhile. Now I'm back. And I love my city. Sometimes inexplicably. Not many people understand why. Mostly I think it's beautiful. And friendly and unpretentious. Sometimes I can't articulate why I love this city. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who does.

But I'm not.

Recently, Pecha Kucha Night 7 was held here in Edmonton. Pecha Kucha apparently stands for 'chit chat' in Japanese. The basic premise is that lots of cool people spend the evening listening to presentations about local ideas relating to design, planning, technology, arts, culture, etc. Check out more details at the Pecha Kucha Edmonton website. It's put on by Edmonton's Next Gen Committee, who are also a group of lots of cool Edmonton locals. Their mission as defined by their website is:
"We are creating a city that attracts and give voice to the Next Generation in the life and growth of our community. The Committee acts as a hub for networking and learning events, fosters leadership opportunities and supports initiatives of interest to the Next Generation."
A popular Edmonton blogger/twitterer, Mastermaq, presented at the recent Pecha Kucha Night 7.

Go to his summary blog post, Local Action, Global Recognition at PKN7, and watch the video of his 6+ minute talk.

I'll wait.

***

My favourite quote is:
"Find something you are passionate about and do it here in Edmonton"
So that's it. That's how easy it is to fix our city. I agree wholeheartedly. And I've been thinking about how I can accomplish this in my own little way.

What am I passionate about? Well, you're reading this blog, so likely you've guessed curling. Which would be completely true. And I'm already doing that.

But I can do more.

I'm passionate about libraries. And working in libraries. Particularly university/college libraries, but helping patrons and teaching them how to find the information they need is what I really love to do.

So now I just have to find a way to do that in Edmonton.

But we're in the deep end of a crappy recession that is royally screwing public service careers. Jobs are few and far between. So do I hold out for a job here, possibly passing up other opportunities? Do I move away and then move back later? Do I find another city to love? Do I find another job to love (or at least figure out a way to transfer my love of libraries to other similar workplace situations)?

It's tricky. Very tricky. And discouraging.

But I'm trying to remember my newly rediscovered mission. Somehow, some way, some time, I will do what I am passionate about. It might take a few years, but I truly believe I can, in my own small little way, make a real difference to the community in the city I love.

So wish me luck.

And find your own passion, and then do it in the city you love. Good luck! 

Comments