Curling Games: Wii

Curling season finished - check
Grad school finished - check
Lot's of time on my hands - check

What to do, what to do?

Aha! Play video games of course. And what better way to mesh things I love together than to play curling themed video games!

I just found out yesterday that there will be a *new* Nintendo Wii curling game coming out soon. Take a look at the promo:


Looks interesting. Maybe it'll be good. Or maybe not. We'll have to see when it comes out (who knows when).

In the meantime, there are still two wii curling games you can play. Both are part of bigger game packages though.

I recently spent some (a lot) of time play Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics, thanks to the Edmonton Public Library. It's super fun, and was a bit of a ride down memory lane, as it uses logos and mascots and colours etc from the awesomeness that was Vancouver 2010. I really enjoyed it, the graphics are good, the music is not overly annoying, there's lots of characters to choose from, and tons of events to play. And the events, for the most part, are quite fun to play. Fortunately, the curling event was one of the good ones.


The curling event does take some practice to figure out all the shot and speed options. Whoa boy though, if you set it with a lot of curl, the rocks break unnaturally at the end and curl with impossible paths. I also had a hard time with takeouts, as the speed seems to drop off dramatically once it hits a rock, so fancy double takeouts are pretty much out of the questions. Other than that, it's fairly intuitive and works the way you think it should. Overall, I enjoyed playing the curling event, but could only manage a few ends before my sweeping hand got very sore.

Would I buy it? Yes, but I wouldn't pay full price. It wouldn't be worth buying for the curling alone, and nor should you because most of the other events are fun too. I would buy a used copy for cheaper for sure, but probably wouldn't play that often. And I wouldn't likely just choose to play the curling event. So good game in general, one and a half thumbs up!

The other wii curling game is part of Deca Sports. It's older than the Mario/Sonic version, and pretty much is played exactly the same way, except you can't really pick characters for your team, and the music is super annoying.


Also unlike Mario/Sonic, Deca Sports sucks overall. The only events that are remotely enjoyable to play are the curling and snowboarding. So would I buy it? Not unless it was $10, and in that case I would only ever play the curling. So one and a half thumbs up for the curling, but no thumbs up for the game in general.

I wonder what the new game will be like. I suppose the controls will be the same as the two games already out there. Hopefully the music and the characters wont suck.

Has anyone played curling games on the other systems? I wonder what they're like? I know one just came out this winter for xbox. Any thoughts about it?

Comments

  1. There's also curling on Celebrity Sports Showdown, Moutain Sports and Winter Sports 1 and 2.

    I have not played any of those, but with Celebrity Sports, you can play as Avril Lavign or Fergie, whatever that's worth to you.

    The $5 game on Xbox is the best one I've played so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know there were that many other wii curling games! I wonder if there will be a market for a single sport game?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment