Curling Bits

  • Congratulations to the Canadian Olympic Wheelchair Curling team - they've won gold at the Paralympics!! Since the tv coverage of the Paralympics was less than exhaustive, I only saw bits and pieces of the event. I've never seen wheelchair curling before, so it was quite interesting to note the difference between that and the other curling game. There are no sweepers, so it's more about precision shooting. I'll admit, I found it too quiet (one of my favourite thing about curling is listening to the strategy and the yelling), but it looked quite intense nonetheless!
  • The World Women's Curling Championship is on. It's kind of disappointing that TSN is only showing the draws when Canada plays. Like a lot of people, I suppose I'm not as big a fan of international curling as national events, but still, there are some great stories and matchups, and it would be nice to watch some of the other teams. I suppose there's some sort of big basketball thingy going on, and there's still hockey (for the non-Oilers fans anyways) for TSN to broadcast. Nevertheless, it would've been nice to turn the tv on this morning and watch some curling. 
  • Even more tragic - TSN will only carry the semi and the final of the Men's World Curling Championship in April. Yes, ok, it's in Italy and that's a big time zone difference - but my team is in it and I want to watch them whip the world. Oh well.
  • And so commences the curling-team-shuffle, starting with team Stoughton rumours. Kevin Park and Rob Fowler will no longer play for Stoughton, and Steve Gould is still on the bubble. Stoughton has picked up Reid Carruthers so far. It's going to be an interesting few months of curling-team-rumours!
  • It's my last curling game of the season this afternoon. Last year my team finished 6th (out of 8) but this year we're playing in the 3vs4 game. We're playing our favourite team so it'll be a game full of joking around, but it's going to be a bittersweet afternoon - I love curling (even though I suck) and I enjoy my team, but we will also do the curling-team-shuffle after this season, and I might have to move away from Etown depending on job circumstances (BOO!!!). Thus, this will be the last time I curl with my team, and maybe the last time I curl at the Sherwood Park Curling Club. So sad.
Well, good curling everyone!

Comments

  1. Regardless of how much more coverage of the Paralympics their has been in reference to what there has been in the past, there simply needed to be better distribution of that content. CTV simply did not recognize that their was an audience that wants that content and they wanted it live as well as achieved, whether that be on-line or on the TV. I have been keeping an active blog and a virtual 3D Olympics at http://blog.virtualwhistler.com and if you visit it you will notice that I have been overly positive. I loved these Olympic and Paralympic games but I was and still am rather frustrated to say the least. I WANTED TO SEE MORE PARALYMPIC GAMES. I am lucky because I live in Whistler and get to see the odd event live, but these games are quite captivating and I am saddened to put it mildly that I could not see more of the games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it was a missed opportunity. The country was on such a high after the Olympics, and if they had shown the games more on tv and online people would have tuned in to the Paralympics. It would have elevated the status of the games in the people's opinion, which would have helped the athletes and the sports in general. But instead the Paralympics were smallish headlines on the 5th page of the sports section. Unfortunately forgettable. And that is sad because what little I did get to watch was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment