Canadian Finals Rodeo Is Back!

Last night, I went to the Canadian Finals Rodeo with my parents. The CFR rolls in to Edmonton every November, and it's super fun!

Never heard about/watched a rodeo before? Here's your 3 minute lesson:
Last night was opening night, so all the competitors came out at the beginning, and since it was Remembrance Day there was a short ceremony and a time of silence. George Canyon sang the national anthem (and did a song later) and then the events began.

We were treated to outstanding competition in: bareback riding, steer wrestling, team roping, saddle bronc, tie down roping, ladies barrel racing, novice bareback, novice saddle bronc, boys steer riding, and the most intense event - bull riding.

Want to learn more? Check out these CFR 101 videos about each event.

I love the rodeo, but I think I might be in the minority. Talking to friends and colleagues recently, it seems that a lot of people either don't know what the rodeo is, or have never seen it before, or think it's cruel.

I think I like the rodeo so much because of how I was raised. My dad grew up on a farm, and my mom in a small town. A cousin of mine used to barrel race, and was a rodeo queen. Family members have horses, and while I'm not a cowboy, I certainly know how to ride a horse. I love horses, and watching them, because they are beautiful. I have a healthy appreciation for country music. And I have, on occasion, been know to eat steak and hamburgers. I'm an Alberta girl - to me, the rodeo is a great night out, and I was enthralled the entire evening last night.

The last time I went, in 2002, I took three Korean students I was tutoring. When I asked them what they thought of the rodeo, they replied "You Canadians are crazy!" I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

If you want to check out CFR, it runs through the weekend at Rexall. Tickets are only about $20. I highly recommend an evening at the rodeo, and I guarantee you'll have fun!

Comments