2009 Roar Of The Rings: My Volunteer Schedule

There are only 36 days until the Roar of the Rings Olympic Curling Trials! I'm liking that countdown more that Christmas!

I'm a lucky volunteer (see here and here), and recently got my schedule. Though the Roar lasts from Dec 6-13, I only have 3 shifts on the 10th, 11th, and 13th that total 18hrs. I was actually hoping to work more and hang out at the venue more, so am a bit disappointed I only have to be there for three days. Also, the final on the 13th starts at 1pm, and I have to work at 4pm, so it'll be tight and if anything I'll miss the last end, but at least I'll get to watch the game.

That's the big question: do I get to watch the games? I've been told we get to watch for free, but no one has clarified how that works. Is there a volunteer section? Do I have to stand at the top? Can I sit in an empty seat? Should I just buy a couple tickets for certain draws?

While I don't mind sitting at home in my pjs, watching all the games on TV with expert commentary, I wanted to see a few games live at least. Watching curling TV is great, and I really appreciate the commentary and being able to listen to the curlers as they discuss the shots, but they only show one game at a time. Sometimes it's nice to sit in the crowd and watch four games at one, soaking in the atmosphere all the while.

So I've got a lot of questions about that. There's another volunteer rally in a couple weeks so maybe it'll all be clarified.

I was also emailed the CCA`s expectations of merchandising volunteers:
  • Greet all customers entering the store.
  • Assist customers finding a style or size or other item.
  • Watch for shoplifting.
  • Assist cashiers with bagging, if requested.
  • Assist customers with exchanges or refunds. The cashiers will handle the final transaction.
  • Assist with opening and closing the store.
  • Assist with housekeeping of the sales area by re-folding or re-hanging merchandise and putting into size and colour order.
  • Unpacking and displaying merchandise.
  • Other retail duties as may be required.
Other guidelines and expectations:
  • No chairs or sitting in the retail area.
  • No food or drinks in the retail area. (Seriously. I hope water bottles don't count as "food or drinks" because there's no way I can go 7hrs without water. Or a snack.)
  • If someone is suspected or is caught shoplifting, they are to be reported to Security, or a supervisor or cashier. Volunteers should not attempt to apprehend the shoplifter themselves.
  • Please arrive 15 minutes before your shift is slated to start so that you are ready to "hit the ground running" when your shift begins.
It's a good think I have 3yrs of retail experience, I will be suitable qualified, ha ha.

So all in all, it's an interesting, if somewhat disappointing and confusing situation...

(Meanwhile, what happened to Koe at the Cactus Pheasant Classic this weekend?? It'll be interesting to see who wins that one tomorrow!)

Comments