Today is my birthday. Yay me. Here are some interesting facts about September 6, the 249th day of the year.
Famous People Who Share My Birthday:
- 1666 - Tsar Ivan V of Russia
- 1814 - George-Étienne Cartier (Canadian politician)
- 1944 - Swoosie Kurtz (actress)
- 1947 - Jane Curtin (actress)
- 1957 - Michaelle Jean (Canada's current Govenor General)
- 1958 - Jeff Foxworthy (comedian)
- 1963 - Mark Chesnutt (singer)
- 1963 - Alice Sebold (author)
- 1964 - Rosie Perez (actress)
- 1971 - Dolores O'Riordan (singer)
- 1979 - Foxy Brown (singer)
Famous Events That Share My Birthday:
- 1522 - The Victoria, one of the surviving ships of Ferdinand Magellan's expedition, returns to Sanlúcar de Barrameda in Spain, becoming the first ship to circumnavigate the world.
- 1620 - The Pilgrims sail from Plymouth, England, on the Mayflower to settle in North America.
- 1666 - The Great Fire of London was finally put out after four days.
- 1852 - Britain's first free lending library opened in Manchester.
- 1915 - The first prototype tank is tested for the British Army for the first time.
- 1939 - Germans capture Cracow, Poland.
- 1941 - German jewish citizens were forced to wear yellow stars of David on their clothes.
- 1942 - The German advance into the USSR was halted at Stalingrad.
- 1944 - The city of Ypres, Belgium is liberated by allied forces.
- 1949 - Allied military authorities relinquish control of former Nazi Germany assets back to German control.
- 1952 - Canada's first television station, CBFT-TV, opens in Montreal.
- 1953 - Thirty Canadians freed in final exchange of POWs with the North Korean Communists.
- 1972 - Munich Massacre: 9 Israel athletes taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games by the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group died (as did a German policeman) at the hands of the kidnappers during a failed rescue attempt, 2 other Israeli athletes are slain in the initial attack the previous day.
- 1977 - All Canadian provinces convert highway signs to metric; except Quebec and Nova Scotia.
- 1977 - Death of Leslie MacFarlane who wrote the first 20 books of the Hardy Boys adventure series for boys but was paid a pittance for these bestsellers.
- 1990 - Death of Tom Fogerty, American singer (b. 1941).
- 1991 - The Soviet Union recognizes the independence of the Baltic states: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- 1992 - Punky Gustavson disappeared from her north Edmonton yard. Her body was found two days later in a truck yard.
- 1994 - Death of Georges Cartier, founder of Quebec's Bibliothèque Nationale.
- 1997 - The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales takes place at Westminster Abbey.
- 2007 - Death of Madeleine L'Engle, American author (born 1918).
- 2007 - Death of Luciano Pavarotti, Italian tenor, at age 71 (born 1935).
That's a great list of really happy events, eh?! I guess good news doesn't often make news. I blatantly stole most of this from Wikipedia and the corresponding links.