Music Monday: Great Lake Swimmers

From the 'what I am listening to obsessively right now' category, here's a great Canadian band you *need* to listen to...
Though I had heard the buzz about Great Lake Swimmers, I had never actually heard them before this year's Folk Fest. I'm sorry I didn't jump on the bandwagon earlier.
And now, through the magic of Youtube, you can relive the exact four minutes when I went from "these-guys-are-good-i-am-glad-i-stayed-for-the-concert" to "whoa-i-love-this-band-and-will-now-buy-cds-and-listen-to-them-non-stop-because-they-are-so-freakin-amazing":
Yeah. Fantastic. I was in the second row at that show that ended too soon.
Seriously, they are amazing though. From Ontario, the band has apparently been around since 2001, in one form or another. Tony Dekker's voice is haunting, yet eerily romantic, and the instrumentation with the violin/viola and/or banjo adds to the unique style they have developed. I don't even know how to describe their sound, as I am still in awe of their amazing-ness.
The newest album, 'Lost Channels' is well worth a listen or two, or two hundred. Check them out, I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
You can find them at:
If you like Great Lake Swimmers, you might also like:

Comments

  1. Hmmm, I think I may wait in the long library holds line to listen to that album...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me and I'll borrow it to you next time we catch up. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment