Heritage Festival: Food + Entertainment = Fun!

I went to Edmonton's Heritage Festival (previously Heritage Days, when did that change?) with a couple friends today, and as usual, it was a good time.

The best part of Heritage Days is equally the food, and the dancing/music. This year my sole reason for going was to see the Shumka Ukrainian dancing concert, because I've never seen Shumka perform before, and I have 'Red Boot Envy' (I quit Ukrainian dancing when I was 13, right before I would go on to the cool Hopak costume and the red boots). It was awesome, they certainly did not disappoint.

Hmm, not the best pictures...we also saw a bit of the Irish dancing girls, the Tenko drumming and various other types of dancing and singing.

Anyways, back to the food. I had 21 tickets worth of stuff, but the best two things were:
1. Scandinavian 'riskrem' - This is creamy rice pudding with raspberry sauce. I discovered this gem of a dessert over a decade ago at the festival, and I have it every time I go. It's yummy.
2. Spinach and peanut butter sauce from the Congo pavillion - Yep, that's spinach and peanut butter. It was fantastic. The peanut butter is cooked, so it's more like an oily sauce. There was spinach and onions in the peanut sauce and it was awesome. I found some recipes here, here and here. I'm going to try making it one day.

So all in all, it was a good (if somewhat hot and muggy) trip to the Heritage Festival. I'll be back next year for the raspberry rice pudding...

Oh, and the festival is still on tomorrow. Go get yourself some peanut buttered spinach!

Comments