I no longer doubt the effectiveness and the usefulness of twitter. Not after last night's storm. The #yeg tag (our airport code) went all the way to 6th on the trending list of the most talked about subjects in the world! I've never used social media in this way before, but getting a minute by minute account of what was going on was amazing. The whole thing was scary, but amazing.
Mastermaq has a great blog post here summing up the #yeg Twitter Storm, including other links and some pictures.
By the way, if there are trees down on your property, it's your job to clean up the damage and debris. Call an arborist if you need, but only call Epcor if power lines are involved. Apparently all the golf courses are closed for clean up.
- Edmonton Journal: Storm Hammers City (article)
- Edmonton Journal: Storm Clean Up Underway (article)
- Edmonton Journal: Storm Photos (photos)
- Edmonton Journal: The Storm Aftermath (photos)
- Edmonton Journal: More Storm Aftermath (photos)
- Edmonton Journal: YouTube video of the Storm (video)
- Edmonton Journal: CN Tower Damage (video)
- CTV Edmonton: Severe weather rips through Edmonton (article/video)
- CTV Edmonton: Fairgoers avoid potential catastrophe (article/video)
- CTV Edmonton: Storm responsible for LRT delays (article/video)
- iNews880: Storm Report: videos and photos (video/photos)
- iNews 880: Storm Gallery (photos)
- Google Map of the Storm's Path (map)
- YouTube: Edmonton storm videos (video)
- My blog post from last night
- Cool video here too
Fire & Rescue went to over 200 calls last night. Stay safe people!