Safari 4 Crashing Nightmare

I've been a mac user for about a year, and wouldn't go back to a PC. Ever. Full stop. I love my macbook, and for the past year have had no complaints or problems (except sometimes my webcam automatically turns on, but that's not a big deal, I never really use it anyways) until now.
A few weeks ago I downloaded Safari 4. I didn't think I had a choice anyways, it just sorta happened. Since then, Safari has been crashing up to 20x a day. This is a big problem because I'm a tabber, meaning I usually have like 25 tabs open. So then when Safari crashes in the middle of a session, I'm screwed. I also tend to write long rambly blog posts or facebook messages. So then when Safari crashes in the middle of a session, I'm screwed.
I really like Safari. It's got a clean minimalist interface, and I've never had trouble opening pages. My only complaint is I don't like the new Top Sites function, and it doesn't save tabs if it unexpectantly crashes.
Like it has been doing, like 20x a day. I've actually posted on the Apple discussion forums a couple times (a big step for me, as I'm not a forum poster) and so far, no one has really been able to help. This whole bad-Safari thing isn't just happening to me, it seems to be quite common, though because why it's crashing is different for all users, it's very hard to solve.
I know I could just switch to Firefox, but there's just something I don't like about it. It doesn't look as sleek as Safari, and I really have no use for all the extensions (that I know of). I can't use the option-command-uparrow to go to the top of a page, and in blogger it wont convert hard returns to div-returns so it screws up the text format of my blog posts and I have to manually code the returns. These things annoy me.
I just want my old working Safari back. Unfortunately it's apparently impossible to reinstall Safari 3 easily (and I'm not mucking around with more technical methods). So for now, what do I do? Suck it up and use Firefox? Suck it up and use crashing-Safari until maybe they release a fix or something?
Ug. I just want to potter on the internet uninterrupted!

Comments

  1. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably one of your plug-ins that's misbehaving, rather than Safari 4. Ours is jsut fine, thanks. Next time you come over bring your laptop and I'll take a look at it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what some of the forum responses have said, but I/we've tried a few things and nothing seems to make a difference. I just reinstalled Safari, and it's working fine for now, so maybe that's fixed it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment