Thursday, February 05, 2009

Book-y Top 5s

When I was a kid I wasn't cool. When I was a kid I wasn't athletic. When I was a kid I wasn't much of a talker.
I was book-y. I've always devoured books. The only time I stopped reading was when I was a teacher. There just wasn't time or I was stressed and tired and miserable. Good thing I quit.
Now that I'm in library school, I can't help myself. I'm always surrounded by book talk. I work in libraries. I'm always surrounded by books. And now I'm reading a lot again. Actually, probably more than ever. I love it.
I just finished (as in 15 minutes ago) 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. It's amazing. Beautifully written. I cried through the last 50 pages. Narrated by death, it's about a German girl during WWII, about her relationships and humanity. Fantastic.
So far it's #1 on my Top 5 list of best books I read in 2009.
While I'm on the subject, here's my Top 5 list of best books I read in 2008:
Canadian Edition
1. Happiness by Will Ferguson
2. Shelf Monkey by Corey Redekop
3. The Garneau Block by Todd Babiak
4. King John of Canada by Scott Gardiner
5. The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
(Guess what, the first four are about books, and the last one a retelling of a famous one. Weird. I must be meant to be a librarian.)
International Edition
1. Maus by Art Spiegelman
2. Love Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
3. Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller
4. God Grew Tired Of Us by John Bul Dau
5. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Gosh that was difficult. As you can see I couldn't even compress it into one Top 5.
Now...what should I read next...

2 comments:

  1. If I could make a few suggestions:

    Winkie, by Clifford Chase
    Our Illegal Self, by Peter Carey
    The Corrections, by Jonathan Franzen
    Towing Jehovah, by James Morrow
    Gun, with Occasional Music, by Jonathan Lethem
    Oh Pure and Radiant Heart, by Lydia Millet
    A Small and Remarkable Life, by nick DiChario

    All are really good reads. Very fine, primo stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! More books to add to my pile. Thanks for the suggestions, and may I just say, I loved Shelf Monkey!

    ReplyDelete