Worldly Reading/Watching

I've been reading some pretty heavy stuff lately. I recently finished 'The Trouble With Islam' by Irshad Manji, and I certainly learned a ton about the Muslim faith (though I do acknowledge it is her own biased opinion, there's a lot to learn in that book nonetheless). Last night I zipped through 'Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak' by Deborah Ellis. It too was amazing (amazing!), powerful reading. The children, from both sides, were very honest and I felt like I had heard all the viewpoints regarding the conflict.
Then I spent some time reading up on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I guess the whole situation is something I've heard about and read a bit about, but one that quickly gets forgotten. It's like 'Oh, another bombing. What's for dinner?'. How unfortunate. I know feel like I understand more about what's going on (still going on). (map)
My research led me to 'Gaza Sderot - Life In Spite of Everything', a web-documentary by a French company. It follows the lives of men, women and children in two cities on the Israeli Palestinian border. Every day since October 26, 2008, two 2minuted videos are uploaded, one from each side. They are viewed side by side, giving a truly real look at the daily lives of these people. Despite the many dangers (air bombings and rocket attacks, power cuts and lack of food or medicine) the people never stop working, loving, and dreaming. It's been really amazing to get to know the people and follow their lives, and contrast them with how good we have it here in Canada. It's all very inspiring, and makes me want to do something.
One of the Israeli men is a musician, you can hear his songs here.

Comments