What Grade Are You In?

Someone asked me not too long ago what I was doing back in school. That got me thinking and I came up with a brilliant conclusion: I'm in grade 18. Yes folks, that's 12 years of regular grades (not counting pre-school or kindergarten, those only complicate the math and don't count anyways because there's minimal skill involved in playing house or finger painting), 4 years as an undergraduate, 1 year at college, and 1 year currently in grad school. That's two-thirds of my life. Which is a bit pathetic...
Anyways, I then got to thinking about other professions and how many grades of formal education they require and here's what I came up with (disclaimer - education standards are for Alberta only):
Baker - 9+ grades
Welder - 9+ grades
Firefighter - 10+ grades
Hair Stylist - 10+ grades
Mechanic - 10+ grades
Boilermaker - 11+ grades
Premier of Alberta - 12 grades
Plumber - 12+ grades
Electrician - 12+ grades
Police Officer - 12+ grades
Web Designer - 14 grades
Social Worker - 14 grades
Reporter - 14 grades
Accountant - 16 grades
Pilot - 16 grades
Forester - 16 grades
Meteorologist - 16 grades
Teacher - 16 grades
Nurse - 16 grades
Engineer - 16 grades
Film Director - 16 grades
Archaeologist - 16 grades
Pharmacist - 17 grades
Librarian - 18 grades
Archivist - 18 grades
Lawyer - 18 grades
Dentist - 18 grades
Veterinarian - 18 grades
Psychologist - 18 grades
Architect - 19 grades
Optometrist - 19 grades
Doctor - 20+ grades
University Professor - 20+ grades
Brain Surgeon - 20+ grades
Astronaut - 21+ grades
This list is by no means exhaustive and really only consists of the jobs I could think of that required formal schooling. Of course there are a million more professions out there, and the educational requirements vary accordingly. King Ralph is a prime example of how someone can reach the top without spending dozens of years hoop jumping through government/society red tape.
 This was an interesting exercise. Mostly it made me a bit depressed that I'll have completed 19 grades by the time I'm finished. If only I was smart enough for med school...

Comments