Is Google Evil?

I'm a Google whore (definition: one who excessively uses Google software and services), that's a fact. I didn't mean for that to happen but it did, and really, Google makes my life easier so it makes me no never mind. Apparently not every thinks like me though.
Thus I present to you "Why Google Must Die" and two responses from the library world: Stephen Abram and the Lone Wolf Librarian.
Hmm. Google does some good things (it keeps junk mail out of my gmail account for starters, and I couldn't function without iGoogle) but I can see why Stephen Abram would take issue with it. I agree Google bombing is bad. And yes, it does worry me that Google saves and tailors my searches (geographically for instance, but maybe that's because I'm paranoid from watching too many crime dramas) but come on, it's dead easy to use. If library catalogues were that easy to use I reckon stats would go through the roof. Library catalogues are crap. Yes I said it, and I'm a librarian-wanna-be. The catalogues suck, they could use a little Google-izing. But we don't need to go all the way like Google does. There's always a happy medium (moderation is the key to maturity after all).
It's hard not to be hypocritical about this. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how Google's campaign for world domination plays out.

Comments