Law School For Dummies

As I was driving from my day-job to my evening-job today, I suddenly realized I hadn't learned anything all day and wouldn't be able to post on my blog (which would've been a shame as I've been pretty good at posting regularly). Well it was the evening-job to the rescue! I have the most interesting conversations with the librarian at the Law Library. We once got into a two week long debate about the insurance cap on soft tissue injuries, and today she taught me all about how to get into law school. I noticed the articling students (who's offices are in the library) were away for awhile and I innocently asked if they had gone on vacation (ha! I don't think articling students get vacations). Nope, apparently they were at their 'CPLED' course. Huh? Ok, so to get into law school you need an undergraduate degree (or be a genius) and then you can take the LSAT test and the apply to law schools. So if you get in, you get your law degree or masters or whatever, and that takes 3 years. Then you spend a year as an articling student, and if you pass all that you can be admitted into the bar. Voila, you are a lawyer! But (yes there is always a but) those three years at university don't actually teach you 'how-to' bec a lawyer, only the theory of law and about law in general. I suppose it's like my four years at university didn't teach me 'how-to' teach, only the theory and other crap about teaching. This strikes me as kinda stupid, I think schools should teach practical knowledge so once you graduate you can actually work at the job you graduated for, but hey, what do I know, I'm already on my second career. As an articling student though, as well as being the law firm's bitch, you have to take CPLED course, which actually does teach you the practical side of practicing law. So now it all makes sense, and it also explains why the library staff know more about law than the law students who come in or call all the time!!

Comments