What's In A Name?

I read an article this morning in the journal that stated the majority of women still take their husband's last name after marriage (actually a slight increase from the 90's). I'm quite surprised really, I would've thought this tradition (like most) would've fallen slightly out of favour in the new millenium. I'm not sure what I would do, I guess there's a few options. Tradition versus convenience (unless kids are involved)? Friends in England combined both their last names to make an entirely new one, which was pretty clever. I certainly wouldn't hypenate, but I am pretty fond of my last name. There just aren't that many of us left (and those who are don't seem to be multiplying). It's not like I need to think about this though, as I'm fairly cynical about marriage anyways. And I'm most certainly not on the 'married and pregnant by 30' plan either. Any thoughts?

Comments

  1. a large percentage of my friends are hyphenating, with their maiden name going first.

    at last discussion, i've decided to just take the new last name altogether. hyphenating and/or combining would make for an awkward mouthful :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment