Book Challenges

A few months ago I came across this blog:

I had also just returned to Canada after living in England for four years and was all gung-ho about appreciating and showing Canadian pride and all that. Also, I'd just quit my teaching career, and even though I'm back in college and work two part-time jobs, I had just gotten back into recreational reading. I've always been a reader (heck, I'm going to school to get my library technician diploma!) but had to put books on the backburner while I stressed myself into an ulcer as a teacher. So now that I was enjoying (no, devouring) books, I figured why not? I'm also a greedy blogger (I have three in case you haven't noticed) and am always up for a challenge (I must do a Nanowrimo post one of these days...). Book challenges seemed to be pretty easy: read, blog, repeat. That I can do!

I started up Rant-A-Book, and suckered a few friends into racing to the end of the Canadian Book Challenge (13 books by Canadian authors by Canada Day, July 1st). I am totally enjoying the challenge! It's nice to have some extra motivation to get some reading done, not like I have enough to do lately (college, 2 jobs, remember?!). Plus snooping around and commenting on other like minded people's blogs is a fantastic time waster! And this was just the beginning. Who knew there was a whole 'novel challenge' subculture out there, lurking on the blog scene?

I dug a little further and found A Novel Challenge. This great blog archives many of the blog book challenges out there, and is a great resource, because if you're like me, you can't stop at just one. I'm currently doing this challenge too:

(Though I'll admit right now, I'm not enjoying the graphic novels quite as much as 'regular books', but I do feel kinda hip and cool reading them!)

So, what are you waiting for? Find a challenge you like, start up (or ressurect?) a blog and get going. Oh, and if you want in on the Canadian Book Challenge race, just let me know...

**Update** May 24, 2008

We've stopped the Canadian Book Challenge. I finished up the 13 books (by the end of April) but the other two stalled at 2. It was fun while it lasted. I'm getting rid of my book blog because I've signed up to Librarything which is similar, but different. It's a great way to catalogue the books you own and keep track of the books you've read. So while the blog was fun for a bit, the novelty has worn off and it's being retired. However, if you'd like to challenge me to a reading challenge nonetheless, you know where to find me...

Comments